The 2017 Beau Monde
Royal Ascot Reader’s Choice Category Awards
The Royal Ascot Competition is the only RWA chapter contest devoted exclusively to the Regency.
This year, the Beau Monde is introducing, as part of the Royal Ascot Competition, the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards.
Only entrants in the Royal Ascot Contest can enter The Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards.
Judging in entrants’ chosen category for the Readers’ Choice Awards will be performed by registered reader-judges drawn from the subscribers of The Regency Reader.
Our goals in offering the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category awards are:
- to enable emerging authors to introduce their work to new readers who have a demonstrated love of Regency Romance;
- to offer Royal Ascot Contest entrants the opportunity to have their entry assessed by potential consumers, and then only against the entries within their chosen category; and
- to invite subscribers to The Regency Reader to actively participate in the competition by selecting the winner in each category.
- The Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards is open to unpublished authors and published writers who have submitted an eligible entry in The Royal Ascot Contest in accordance with the Competition Rules.
- Royal Ascot Contest entrants who wish to enter the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Award within their chosen category, must indicate their desire to do so when registering for the Royal Ascot Contest.
- Entrants who indicate their wish to enter the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards will have their Royal Ascot Contest entry uploaded to the relevant secure online portal by the Royal Ascot Coordinator. In addition to the Royal Ascot Coordinator, only reader-judges registered to judge a specific category can access a category’s online repository.
- Entries submitted to The Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards will be judged only within the category identified on their Royal Ascot Contest entry.
- February 1, 2017 – Contest opens
- March 27, 2017 – ** Entry Deadline**
- June 30, 2017 – Judging closes in the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Awards
- July 26, 2017 – Category Winners announced at the Beau Monde Soiree in Orlando (you need not be present to win)
There is no additional fee to submit your Royal Ascot Contest entry to The Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards.
The winner in each category will receive $50, a winner’s certificate and an electronic badge for use on their platforms and book cover.
In the event of a tie in any category, the prize money will be shared. Both entrants will receive a Joint Winner’s certificate and electronic badge.
Winners’ names will be published in the August edition of the Regency Reader, and on the Beau Monde website.
Entries in each category will be read and rated by eligible subscribers to The Regency Reader, who register to participate as reader-judges in that category.
Eligible subscribers are those individuals who were subscribed to The Regency Reader as of January 1, 2017.
Reader-judges will read each entry in their chosen category online on a secure site to which only the registered reader-judges in that category will have access.
All entries will have their name and book title removed from the entry and will be given a Reference Number before the entry is uploaded to the secure site.
Entrants in the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards are ineligible to participate as reader-judges.
Beau Monde members who are subscribers to The Regency Reader are ineligible to participate as reader-judges.
Reader-judges will rate each entry in the category using a 1 to 5 rating, with 1 being the lowest score. All scores received by an entry will be totaled. The winner in each category will be the entry receiving the highest overall score in their category.
Reader-judges will also be required to provide written feedback from the reader’s perspective.
In the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards, the eligible categories are:
- Regency Historical (longer Regency or Mainstream Regency-set)
- Hot Regency (Very sensual to Erotic Regency, at author’s discretion)
- Wild Regency (Paranormal, Time Travel, other similar Regency)
- Sweet & Mild Regency (Traditional, Inspirational, Young Adult or other without explicit sex)
Entries submitted to the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Awards will be allocated to the category indicated on their Royal Ascot Contest entry.
After the announcement of the winners
On August 1, 2017, the Royal Ascot Coordinator will add the author’s name and book title to the winning entry on the secure site used by reader-judges during the judging process.
To enable reader-judges to discover who wrote their favorite entry in each category, they will have access to their respective category sites for a period of 14 days, after which access will be removed.
Each category winner will be offered the opportunity to have their entry published in The Regency Reader, if they wish to do so.
By August 16, 2017 the Royal Ascot Coordinator will email entrants their entry ratings and judges’ reader impressions.
The 2017 Royal Ascot Contest Committee
QUESTIONS? NEED HELP?
If you have any questions about the Readers’ Choice Category Awards or need help with your entry, please feel free to contact the Royal Ascot Coordinator at royalascot ( at ) thebeaumonde ( dot) com.
Kalinya Parker-Pryce, Royal Ascot Contest Coordinator
Registration for the 2017 Royal Ascot Contest will open on February 1, 2017 and close on March 27, 2017.
Remember: You must indicate on your 2017 Royal Ascot Contest registration form if you want your entry submitted to the Royal Ascot Readers’ Choice Category Awards in your chosen category.